Woodmansterne was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 under the name "Odemerestor", which derives from the Anglo-Saxon "Ode" = (W)ode = Wood, "mere" = pond, and "tor" = high ground. The names progressed through various spellings until the popular version of Woodmansterne became the standard description in about the 15th century.
The manor was owned at an early date by Richard de Tonbridge and was in the hundred of Wallington, passing later to the monastery at St Mary Ouverie in Southwark (the present cathedral) in 1539.
Until early in the 20th century the place was simply a small sheep-farming village, largely by-passed by travellers and staying an isolated community, unknown and unnoticed.
Woodmansterne Sports Club was established in 1921, bringing together the local cricket and football sections, not to mention the Reading Room and Flower Show Committees.
In those days the players had to get changed under the trees that run along side the cricket boundary. Not much information is recorded but it is known that the only time football was not played competitively was during the 2nd World War. Apart from that break many years of successful adult football was enjoyed in local leagues.
In 1957 the new HQ for the Club was opened, after considerable help in its construction by local volunteers and a grant of £300 towards the building costs by the National Playing Fields Association.
In or around 1976 the club was operating four adult teams in the Redhill and District League. The club saw the first and reserve teams apply for Surrey Intermediate status with the A and B teams remaining in the Redhill League. Some six years later saw the first team and reserves rejoin the Redhill League. Many successful years followed before being promoted back to the Surrey South Eastern Combination where we remain today. You have to go back some years for the clubs last major successes
A notable occasion during 1982 was the filming, at the club, of the original TV version of 'Outside Edge' with Paul Eddington, Prunella Scales, Maureen Lipman and a young Leslie Ash.
1995 - Intermediate Division 3 runners up 1995/6 season
1999 narrowly saw the first team miss out on winning the Intermediate first division when they were beaten on the final day of the season, due to another result elsewhere and goal difference they actually finished 3rd. Winning this division would have seen the club being promoted to the then Surrey Premier League of which is now part of the Combined Counties League.
Due to dwindling player numbers 2001 saw the A and B sides disband which ended our long relationship with the Redhill League. The club decided to concentrate on the first and reserve teams and start up a Vets team. The reserves had some success over the coming years having been promoted twice in respective years for coming third in their divisions. However the season of 2005/6 saw both teams being relegated which partly lead to the amalgamation with Clarkson Hyde FC.
2005 saw the Sports Club taking over the maintenance of the grounds from the Council, which will provide an interesting challenge for the members. The Club is a splendid place to play cricket and socialize, and no doubt will continue to be for many years to come.
The club this year is up for an award for being in existence for over 75 years and a plaque will be placed at both our club and in the boardroom of the Surrey FA headquarters in Leatherhead.